I’ll share with you my insights on the Two Witnesses who will appear on Earth during the end times, including their identity in this article.
The Two Witnesses
To counter the propagation of Antichrist’s one-world religion, God will assign two individuals to provide testimony near the halfway point of the 70th Week of Daniel (the seven year period people commonly refer to as the “tribulation”). The two individuals will provide their testimony for 1260 days.
(3) And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth. (4) These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.” (Rev 11:3-4)
These two individuals will essentially be invincible during the 1260 days they give their testimony. However, I strongly discourage anyone from going up to these two individuals to ask for their autograph! Anyone who tries to harm them will die. In addition, they will have the power to inflict plagues on Earth.
(5) And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed. (6) These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will.” (Rev 11:5-6)
The Identity of the Two Witnesses
There has been debate among people in regards to the identity of these two individuals. There seems to be a consensus that the Prophet Elijah will be one of the two individuals. God promised in Malachi 4:5-6 that He will send Elijah to perform work before the coming of the Day of the Lord.
(5) Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD: (6) And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.” (Mal 4:5-6)
The heart of the debate rests with the identity of the second individual. Some people believe that the second individual will be Enoch because he was taken up to Heaven like Elijah was. However, I believe biblical evidence supports the identification of the second individual as Moses.
There are two passages that support the identification of the second individual as Moses. First, Jude mentions that Satan and the Archangel Michael contended over the body of Moses.
“Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, The Lord rebuke thee.” (Jude 1:9)
The contention between Satan and Michael was over a physical body. This begs the question why would Satan want Moses’s physical body? Normally, a physical body ought to be no concern to Satan because it would decompose eventually. However, in this case Satan wanted to prevent Michael’s attempt to gain (or maintain) custody over Moses’s body. It’s reasonable to conclude that there was a strong demand for Moses’s physical body because it is going to be used again when Moses returns to Earth as one of the Two Witnesses.
Finally, Moses and Elijah appeared together when Christ was transfigured.
(1) And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, (2) And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. (3) And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.” (Matt 17:1-3)
The appearance of Moses and Elijah with a transfigured Jesus complies with description of the Two Witnesses standing before God in Revelation 11:4.
(Update: Under this scenario, Moses would die twice, which does not seem right at first glance. However, according to Got Questions, a popular Christian Q & A website, there is biblical precedent for a person to die twice: Link)
The Death and Restoration of the Two Witnesses
Near the end of the 70th Week of Daniel, Antichrist and his forces will summon enough strength to kill the Two Witnesses. The death of the Two Witnesses will be a cause of great celebration for those who are followers of the Antichrist because these two individuals punished the inhabitants of Earth for their conduct.
(7) And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them. (8) And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified. (9) And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves. (10) And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.” (Rev 11:7-10)
However, three days later the Two Witnesses will rise from the dead and ascend to Heaven to the chagrin of all those who celebrated these men’s death.
(11) And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them. (12) And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them. (13) And the same hour was there a great earthquake, and the tenth part of the city fell, and in the earthquake were slain of men seven thousand: and the remnant were affrighted, and gave glory to the God of heaven.” (Rev 11:11-13)
The people who witness this event may begin to realize who is exactly in charge-and it’s not Antichrist! It’s God in Heaven!